Theories are flying around regarding the causation of the 9.0 Japan earthquake along with predictions of the possibility of more earthquakes for Japan and elsewhere. Below are the ones I found this morning.
- The head of the Australian Seismological Centre, Kevin McCue, is predicting another quake in the 7.9 range and large enough to cause another tsunami ‘within days,” based on performance of past earthquakes.
- Piers Corbyn, of Weatheraction, is attributing the massive Japanese earthquake and the recent killer quake in New Zealand “were triggered by massive events on the Sun and there are more to come in the next two years.”
- Arcady Tishkov is alluding the causes to “both the moon and the sun.”
- The warmers, like the BBC were claiming mere hours after the Japanese earthquake that it is (of course) caused by global warming (what else? global warming causes everything according to the warmers).
- Discover Magazine is saying all the other claims are untrue and any attempts at linking causation and effect are mere coincidences of timing and that earthquakes are really caused by the movement of the Earth’s tectonic plates.
- Some are blaming it on the “Super Moon” because the moon will soon be at perigee (approximately 220,000 miles), even though that won’t happen until March 19th. (Note the Moon was about 240,000 miles away when the Japanese quake hit).
- While I can find no articles claiming this as causation for the Japanese earthquake, some are claiming melting glaciers allowing the surface of the Earth to rebound, can cause earthquakes, a concept I find hard to believe as do many others (a roundabout way to blame it upon global warming). From Physorg.com “Glaciers may also cause earthquakes. During the last glacial period, the ice sheet was up to 2.5 miles thick. This pushed down on the Earth’s crust, causing a depression. When the weight was lifted due to glacial melting, the depressed crust began to stick-slip on its way back to the pre-depressed elevation.”
There are links to the above claims so you can read for yourself and judge for yourself what you think caused the 9.0 earthquake in Japan.
My take on it is that I don’t know other than I’d bet the farm that global warming, or anything related, had absolutely nothing to do with this or any other recent earthquakes such as the ones in Haiti or New Zealand.
Who knows what that solar energy can cause to happen within the planet and while the claims are that the “Super Moon” has nothing to do with earthquakes either, the moon is powerful enough to cause the tides (that’s a lot of water to be moving around) and is also caused the Earth’s surface to rise and fall by as much as a meter (about 3 feet) per day in some areas. Who knows? Again with that much force exerted upon the planet I certainly wouldn’t dismiss it as at least having a partial effect in causing earthquakes.
If you want an easy way to help you can text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to help.