Tag Archives: CFL’s

Another greentard fail – CFL’s


Caution! Contains Mercury! Emits Poison Gas if Broken! Considered Toxic Waste! But it's Green!



CFL’s (compact fluorescent light-bulbs) seem to be another gigantic greentard fail to me. I really can’t fathom why they’re still being sold. Why?

  • They take time to warm up
  • I find the light they put out to be annoying in color.
  • They’re not very bright compared to an incandescent light-bulb.
  • They contain a hazardous material called mercury.
  • Due to the mercury you’re not supposed to just throw them away.
  • Due to the mercury if one breaks you better run outside because of the toxic vapor it will emit.
  • Even though touted by the greentards as energy-saving, they don’t emit much heat when on. Replacing incandescent bulbs that emit heat with CFL’s means that during the winter your heater will just run longer to take up the slack. No gain there – you’re only saving on the electric bill and paying back with the gas bill.
  • They’ve been outlawed in Germany but to entrepreneurs have been importing them as ‘heat globes’ meaning they’re now officially heaters that conveniently emit light you can actually read by.

Yes, they sound like a downright stupid idea to me. Yet another case of the cure being worse than the disease. Now they’re even causing labor problems. Yes I said labor problems.  From the Daily Mail we get this one……

Councils across the UK are refusing to pick up low-energy lightbulbs from homes as they contain toxic mercury, which gives off poisonous vapours.

But confused consumers are putting the new bulbs – classed as hazardous waste – in their dustbins when they burn out, potentially putting the safety of thousands of binmen at risk.

Previously, the public disposed of traditional lightbulbs, used in Britain for 120 years, in a domestic bin.

Now the union is worried about their members handling these toxic faux pas……

Last night UNISON, the union which represents thousands of rubbish collectors across Britain, said it was concerned at the risks binmen are facing.

I can’t say I blame them, these things are very toxic……

A study by Germany’s Federal Environment Agency found that when one of them breaks, it emits levels of toxic vapour up to 20 times higher than the safe guideline limit for an indoor area.

So, there you have it folks. We’ve denigrated from a simple light bulb that you could safely handle and safely throw into the garbage bin to a toxic nightmare that emits poisonous gas into your house when broken and requires you to dress like you’re on a Hazmat Team to clean the mess up, not to mention it requires special disposal.

Yes this sounds like the typical greentard idea. Take a simple idea and turn it into a gigantic mess to save Gaia. Typical of the CO2 Insanity that causes stuff like this. Can we please have some common sense from now on?

Below is a photograph of an incandescent light-bulb in Livermore, California, USA that has been in operation for 110 years! It lasts more than a lifetime and you can throw it out when done without creating an EPA Superfund Cleanup Site. Now how much greener can you get than that?

Source: The Daily Mail



Filed under California, Climate Change, Co2 Insanity, Global Warming, Green Tech